The below are immediate openings! Apply today.Finance & Operations Director
Below is an open permanent Finance & Operations Director position for a Washington, DC Nonprofit that Palmer Staffing is currently assisting. The leader in this role will be responsible for Financial Strategy, Financial and Administrative Management, HR Management and staff management. If interested, please email Lheiren Milanette, Assistant Recruiter, at email@example.com
The leader in this role will:
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Managing Director, and Development Director to develop, articulate and implement overall organizational strategy. Ensuring alignment across the organization on strategy and goals.
- Oversee and manage day to day functions and operations, including managing Finance and Operations leads, determining appropriate staff role expectations and reporting lines, evaluating staff and making hiring and firing decisions (decisions related to the Senior Management Team are made together with the Executive Team).
- Act in a decision-making capacity in close collaboration with the Executive team on all operational matters
- Be responsible for the development and announcement of the organization’s core financial processes including budgeting, forecasting, and multi-year aggregate expenditure planning
- Own the budget and keep organization on track to meet expense goals.
- Coordinate work with organization’s external counsel to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Supervise a growing team, Participate In Executive team, including activities of the National Board of Directors, Management team, Sustainability team and any other cross departmental collaborations as needed
- As a partner to the senior management, department directors and board leadership, assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and long-term strategy.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical and timely financial and operational information and make actionable recommendations on financial management, strategy, and operations.
- Engage the board of directors and the finance committee around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery.
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, investment advisors, etc.).
- Oversee long-term budget planning and cost management in alignment with strategic theory of change, especially as the organization considers new programs and funding sources.
- Establish investment and financial management policies that comply with applicable regulations and best practices and are approved by the Board.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with applicable Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and regulatory requirements. Maintain internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit activities.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes a minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs. Optimize the handling of banking and investment relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance and protect cash positions.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally.
- Oversee group exemption process to ensure compliance and help build the capacities of our National Network
- Oversee risk management and legal activities, guarantee compliance with all relevant regulations by ensuring that all program-related functions are conducted in compliance with regulations of the IRS and other agencies to which is accountable.
- Work with Office Manager to support the development and monitoring of new and existing organization plans and projects. Develop office policies as necessary consistently providing oversight and regular review of compliance with Safety and Health Issues and monitor compliance with OSHA
- Responsible for all personnel, compliance, employee relations, labor relations, equal employment opportunity functions of the organization and provides advice and counsel to senior leadership on a range of personnel matters. The Director also participates in HR initiatives and Remain current on Human Resource best practices, laws and regulations.
- Oversee risk management and legal activities, guarantee compliance with all relevant regulations by ensuring that all program-related functions are conducted in compliance with regulations of the IRS and other agencies to which is accountable. Provide oversight to ensure HR compliance according to DC laws, organizational policies, and collective bargaining agreement.
- This position is an internal leader of the organization and is responsible for direction and management of assets that build and strengthens the organization.
- Provide strategic leadership for all staff and a strong day to day leadership presence; bridge departmental operations and support an open-door policy among all staff Coordinate and integrate goals cross department
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the staff under their direct supervision;
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality;
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development;
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments;
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Demonstrable passion for nonprofit’s mission; a hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- 5 – 7 years’ experience in managerial role in a Finance setting with Supervisory Experience
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement best practices in financial and operations management
- Solid knowledge of non-profit organizations, GAAP standards and fund accounting; Fluent in QuickBooks
- Understanding of and experience with applicable financial regulations. Experience working with 501©3 and 501©4 organizations.
- Experience funding activities in ways that both cover costs and generate funds to build reserves.